BrickPunk

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lighting set up

FLIPaBRIK
    FLIPaBRIK
    ModPunk
    ModPunk

Lighting set up Empty Lighting set up

Post by FLIPaBRIK Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:19 am

one question that always arises while brickfilming is: how do i get rid of that horrid light flicker?! well here is your answer: if you are experiencing light flicker it is because you don't have the proper lighting set-up. now what is the proper lighting set-up? well, there are many different ways to set up your lights but here are a few things you want to keep in mind when setting up:

1.make sure you are in a dark place with no natural light (because the natural light changes every time a cloud passes over the sun)

2.make sure you do not have your hand or arm in between your light and your set. (unless you will keep your arm there throughout the whole film, it will create light flicker every time you move)

3.make sure there is no light shining behind you (it will cast shadows on the set which once again creates light flicker)

4.make sure you have paper taped over your lamps. (this will diffuse the light so that it will create less or no shadow)

5.make sure you are wearing a dark shirt while brickfilming (if you have a white or colorful shirt, the light will reflect off of it onto your set)

now for the set up of the lamps: you could use one lamp but i highly un-recommend it! most brickfilmers use from two to four lamps. with so many lamps, where do you put them all?! well to get the best lighting most people use three lamps: one facing the set from the front, one from the side, and one either from the back of the set or the top of the set, or the other side. then there is the question of...what if i want to have more creative lighting, like night-time, or evening, or other special lightings? well really the lighting set-up is up to you: how YOU want to put it and what you have to use. here is a link to a test that i did with lighting (youtube is down for maitnence so here is a link to my account, the lighting test vid is labeled "lighting test): https://www.youtube.com/user/FLIPaBRIK
    what do you use for your lighting set-up?

i will answer this question and urge you to write about your set-up aswell:

my set-up consists of 3 lamps with paper to diffuse them, i have a string of Christmas lights that i use on a rare occasion, i have a table with glass panels in the top to place a lamp underneath so that the light shines up giving an LED type of feel as is shown on a scene of one of my videos.
    i also use some LED lights but those are so prone to give you light flicker that i try to avoid them.

let us know what your set up is, and feel free to correct me with better information on lighting set-ups!

-flip

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:19 am